- Rex Minerals proposed Hillside development is a large open cut Copper/Gold/Iron mine located on eastern Yorke Penisula near Pine Point and adjacent to St Vincent Gulf.
The proposed mining operation will comprise:
- A vast open pit 2.4 kms long by 1.2 km wide and 450 metres deep, which makes it the largest undeveloped open pit project in Australia;
- Massive rock waste dumps – the largest of which is projected to reach 113 metres in height;
- a large crushing/grinding facility;
- a flotation and magnetic separation processing plant;
- a tailings dam to hold the processing by-products;
- a 12 km pipeline to carry the ore concentrate to the port of Ardrossan;
- a filtration plant, storage sheds, water storage ponds and a seawater intake system at that port and;
- the major road re-alignments of the Yorke Highway and Minlaton turn-off.
source:REX Minerals:Hillside Copper Mine Informatation sheet July 2013 page 3